Thursday, May 01, 2008

Silence is Golden

When I was growing up I went through this stage where I listened to nothing but Oldies. I am sure BB remembers this stage quite vividly. I had this one tape that had a mixture of artists on it and I listened to that tape so much that still to this day I can remember most of the words and a few of the motions I made up to go with them. (Yes, I made up motions to every song). Anyway, there was this one song that has been in my head for about a week now, and I can not get it to go away. I can not remember who sings it or even all the words. All I remember is , "Silence is golden, golden. Ohhh, but my heart..." (I can't remember any more words-sorry).

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I think I am at the point where this song (or at least the words I can remember) are so true. Ever since I can remember, I hated the quietness (which is why I am sure I listened to music so much). I hated being the only one home and when I went to college I hated being the only one in the dorm (which is why I went home so much). Truthfully, I hated having nothing to do. I wanted to be doing something all the time. I hated silence.

However, 1 husband and 2 kids (who both talk all the time now) later, I am on my way to believing silence is golden. I would do just about anything to have a day where there was nothing on the calendar, no phone, no tv (ok maybe a little tv), no talking...you get the picture.

I am not there completely though because after about a day, I would want the noise back. I am definitely 100% BB's daughter.

3 comments:

Kearsmom said...

I "hear" ya girl! And I very much agree! In fact, I am enjoying a little bit of a silent afternoon myself...sort of the quiet before the storm!

Erin said...

I have been thinking how noisy my house is! I am ready for a little bit of silence!

southernutahgirl said...

I am an only child and I love the silence. great post!!!!