Thursday, January 24, 2008

And we wonder why....

I will be the first to admit that I am horrible at keeping up with news items and when I do, most of the time I don't think twice about what I hear. I think I am like this because I just have too many other things I have to keep in my mind and just seems like I am wasting brain power to think about things that most often don't affect me.

However, oddly enough I have caught myself getting involved in this whole Heath Ledger stuff. I think mainly because I love just about every movie he has been in and I mean come on....he is a little easy on the eyes. :-)

Anyway, last night I was at supper with a friend and we got to talking about how Christians who have the mind set of "it's my way or the highway" give what truly being a Christian is about a horrible name. As we were talking she told me about this group of Christians who have decided that since he played a gay person in one of his movies they are going to picket at his funeral. I had not heard that and so it completely shocked me.

Today, I have been reading a lot and what I have learned just makes me mad. Evidently this group is Baptist (don't we love how we make a name for ourselves) and they have been known to picket at the funerals of soldiers who have died in Iraq. I mean come on!

At the end of the day, he still has a family and a lot friends who want and need this time to grieve. Is it really showing God's love when we decide to stand outside his funeral and protest what we believe??? If I were not a Christian I would not look at this and go, "I want to be a Christian. Look at how loyal they are to their beliefs." In fact the world is saying different. One reporter I saw said something to the effect of, "It is just natural human decency that says it is wrong to picket at someones funeral."

I could go on forever about this, because it just makes me mad that people, who call themselves Christians, would show such disrespect for someone in public like this. And, then those same people will question why the people around them do know want to be a part of what they believe.

So, if you have ever wondered why this world does not care about "Christian" things...this is why! The world sees Christians has the group of people who protest about anything and everything, even if it shows disrespect for another person. No one wants to be a part of that.

Okay, I am done....Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

in wholehearted agreement!

Abby said...

I'm with you on this one! Let me give you an example of what happened to one of our friends here in Birmingham just this week...check out my blog, go to their website and listen to what he said at his son's memorial...now that is what Christians should do at a funeral!