Sunday, July 15, 2007

Spotted Cubes

I believe that sometimes, as Christians (or, really I should say Southern Baptist), we make life a little too complicated. Here is an example...

The Prof and I teach 4th grade Sunday School at our church. Like all good Southern Baptist Churches we use LifeWay material. This morning I was reading to the instructions that go along with a game that was in the material for us to play. It was a great game that really helped the children discuss ways we can show forgiveness, in a fun manner. Anyway, when I got to the second instruction, I got very confused. Here is what it said..."Have the child role the spotted cube and move the amount of spaces indicated." (or something to that nature) Well, me, in my lovely blonde world, started to look for the pattern to this "spotted cube" in my material. I could not find it, so, I reread the instructions, thinking maybe I had read something wrong. Finally, after about 5 times of reading it, I figured it out! Spotted Cube = Die ...Duh!! I mean why did I not know that? Of course, as Southern Baptist, we would never have Dice in our Sunday School classes. That would just be horrible. We will just rename them and then it will all be okay?!

Why, as Christians, do we do this to ourselves? I can assure you that every kid sitting at that table had atleast one game at home that had dice. Do you really honestly think that a fourth grader would think, "Oh, my teachers must think it is okay for me to gamble, since we are playing with dice at church"? I seriously doubt it. But, until us Southern Baptist quit focussing on the little things that don't matter...we will only be playing with spotted cubes in our Sunday School class.

8 comments:

Junebug said...

Oh, good grief. Its kinda like the chenille sticks in our resource room. Can't be saying PIPE cleaners. That would be bad.

Yep. We need to stop it.

BB said...

for the same reason, i have a box in the resource room called "chenille stems" instead of "pipe cleaners."

we are a funny people, us SBC-ers!

BB said...

no way, junebug....you just type one minute faster than i do!!!

oh well, all i can say is that thing about great minds!

The Mom said...

i knew about the chenille stems. the spotted cube was new for me though. this is my other question...if they are too embarrassed to call it a die...why do they make up a game where you have to use it? i mean renaming it is not going to change what it is. our children's ministry intern guy thought it was funny too. we laughed forever this morning - great way to start off your sunday :-)

B's Blog said...

Ok, here is one. As I was becomming a Christian, I was going to bars to shoot pool. Then, after becomming a Christian, I needed to cut back on my 'bar' time. Then someone changed the name for me and said, "it's not a bar, it's a pool hall". So, I have never gone to a bar since. :-)
But I still like to shoot pool. (for those that have never been to a pool hall or bar to shoot pool, it is to play with a cue stick which is used to strike billiard balls, moving them around a cloth-covered billiards table bounded by rubber cushions.) (for a visual aid you may visit the Annex)

Kearsmom said...

That is the funniest thing I have read or heard in a LONG time!!!!! Kearsdad thought so too! SPOTTED CUBES...Please!! hahahaha.....

And B you crack me up too!

B's Blog said...

Really, Dennis and I are still laughing about the SPOTTED CUBES! That is too, too funny. This is the reason that D doesn't feel called to join an SBC Church, howerver, he recommends CHBC to everyone even visiting Jackson. Too funny.

Erin said...

I read it to Chad right away! Very funny!

We don't use Lifeway anymore. :)