Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Drive On

Last night Little One and Wild Man went to bed so easily and went right to sleep (that is why I got to blog last night). The Prof and I were so excited! We had some quality one on one time and then got to work finishing some things around the house. We worked hard doing luandry, cleaning the kitchen (okay, so the Prof did). I had emails to reply to, a blog to catch up on and something other Initials work I needed to catch up. We finished everything about 11:30 and began making our way to bed. Then the unthinkable happened. Both kids woke up! Little One woke up first and in the process of getting her to go back to sleep, Wild Man woke up. Before we knew it is was 12:30 and both kids were awake, refusing to go to sleep. So, we did something we have not done in a long time. We piled up in the car at 12:30 am and drove around.

Little One thought this nightime ride was just for her. She talked and laughed and did everything but try to go to sleep.

Wild Man decided that it was fun to make Little One talk and laugh even more, so he made it his goal to encourage the no sleeping.

About 10 minutes into the drive, The Prof and I decide that they need Benedryl. So (since we wanted to keep then in the car) we stopped at CVS. No please remember, I am in my PJs (well shorts and tank - not something I would wear during the day). I get out of the car, go in and buy the Benedryl. I am sure the guy at the check out felt sorry for me, coming into CVS looking like that and buying children's Benedryl. I get back in the car and give one to Little One and one to Wild Man. Little One must have thought I had given her candy, because she immediately put her hand to ask for more. When I told her she could not have more, she was not happy.

At this point The Prof and I decide that maybe a little midnight snack might help. So, we pull into the Burger King at 1 am. Honestly this is the first time in my life that I think I have gone to BK at 1 am. Let me just tell you, there is a reason why the people that work there at 1 am work there at 1 am. The managers are very smart people. This poor little girl who took our order had absolutely no clue what she was doing. But, we got our order and she told us how cute our kids were, and the kids got to eat a midnight snack. Then it was back to the driving.

We drove around until almost 1:30 am, then came home and the kids went to sleep. I was sure they would both sleep in this morning, but I was wrong. I do not know how they can have so much energy after a night like last night. It will never make sense to me.

3 comments:

Kearsmom said...

Oooohhhhhh...I remember those days....I don't miss them at all. It's memories like those that make this whole Jr. High transition thing bearable!!!

But it's a very funny story and one you will enjoy telling them (and they will enjoy hearing) one day!!

B's Blog said...

My philosophy is "the more they sleep, the more they sleep." I have always thought the opposite to be true too. They are too funny. I especially like the trip into CVS. HAHAHA!!!

Anonymous said...

we used to ride at night with your mom but she was younger and things weren't opern after nine o'clock in jackson back then. in fact fondron was the city limits.